You Can't Tikka This Meal for Granted!

First things first, I must give credit where credit is due. Marty came up with today's title, not me. I wish I had but it is all him. We've been out and about a lot this past week and as much as I enjoy dining out, I find it is also nice to get back into my own kitchen and cook. Frankly I often find that I enjoy my own cooking more anyway. Tonight was no exception to that rule.

Now since I am confessing things, I'll also admit that I did not make the tikka masala sauce myself. Yesterday when we were at The World Market I came across Patak's Tikka Masala Cooking Sauce 15oz (Tangy Lemon & Cilantro) which looked really good. So we bought a jar. This made getting tonight's meal together really easy but of course I still had to give it the Mimi touch. So first I browned 2 cut up whole organic chicken breasts and 3 thighs in some canola oil. Once they had browned I removed them from the pan and added some sliced carrots, onions and green peppers to the oil that was left in the bottom and cooked them until the onion had turned translucent and the carrots had begun to soften. Then I added the chicken pieces back to the pot, poured the jar of sauce in and mixed it around until everything was coated. Finally I added some cut up fresh pineapple, covered and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes.

As a side I made a roasted red pepper and apricot chutney, the recipe for which can be found in the summer 2009 edition of the Publix greenwise market magazine. Unfortunately, they haven't updated their website yet but this link will take you there http://tiny.cc/KMd7E. Just keep checking and I'm sure they will put it up soon. Or if you live in an area where they have Publix supermarkets you can pick up a free copy at any store. I actually subscribe to it because it usually has good coupons, articles and obviously recipes! I served the chicken and chutney along with a mix of wild and brown rice.

The Tikka Masala sauce had a wonderful flavor. The jar said that it was medium spicy but truth be told it was actually pretty mild. So if you tend to shy away from curry because of the heat factor, this would be a good option for you. If you prefer some heat in your curry, you would want to doctor this up yourself. The label also said that there were approximately 3 servings of sauce in the jar but as I made it there was double that amount. There are easily enough leftovers for two more meals. Although I usually prefer to prepare meals like this from scratch, using this jarred sauce gave me a quick and easy route to a flavorful dinner. I'll tikka that anytime!

Dinner

Chicken Tikka Masala
Brown & Wild Rice Mix
Red Pepper & Apricot Chutney



Lunch

Leftover homemade multigrain pizza: potatoes, red pepper, onion, garlic, tomato, broccoli, goat cheese and provalone.

Breakfast
Peach Valley Cafe, Lake Mary FL

Poached eggs on dry English muffin with roasted tomato, red onion & asparagus
Hollandaise on the side (fork dip method)
Grits
Fruit cup
Coffee with skim milk

Pre-run Snack

Light Cream cheese & SF marmalade on multi-grain bread
Mini Banana

(ran 4.11 miles interval training)

Comments

Popular Posts