Multigrain Banana Nut Crunch Buttermilk Pancakes


I woke up feeling a little under the weather so my thoughts of going for a run turned into thoughts of making pancakes. That's a logical transition don't you think? I have been tweaking my pancake recipe each time I make them, looking for the ultimate light yet still nutritious pancake. This time I combined three different grains, whole wheat, cornmeal and oatmeal but folded in whipped egg whites to keep the batter light. I was pleased with the results. I also decided that I prefer chopped pieces of banana spread throughout over incorporating a mashed banana into the batter. With pieces, the banana impact is greater as you come across the nice sweet morsels hidden in each pancake. There is a textural change when the banana hits your mouth that I like very much.

Of course no pancake breakfast would be complete without the best bacon in the world - Niman Ranch Applewood smoked uncured bacon to be exact. I am a firm believer that one way to enjoy higher calorie foods while remaining mindful of your weight is to indulge in the highest quality and most flavorful version you can afford so that a little will go a long way. I would rather eat one rasher of this bacon over a pile of the other stuff any day. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend it.

For lunch I had a cantaloupe shake. I am trying to create a low calorie version of the melon flavored Boba drinks and avocado shakes  you can get at Vietnamese restaurants. It's a work in progress. As soon as I feel like I have it right I promise to share it with you. Today was my first attempt and I have to say it was pretty close.

Dessert

Tapioca Pudding (2 Pts)

Dinner

Finished the Chipotle Chicken & Hominy Tostadas (9.5 Pts)
see Thursday 6/4/9 entry for recipe


Mid afternoon Snack

Sugar Free Cantaloupe Smoothie w/ tapioca (2 Pts)


Breakfast/Brunch

Multigrain Banana Nut Crunch pancakes w blueberries & maple syrup (10 pts)
1 slice Niman Ranch Applewood smoked Uncured bacon (1.5 Pts)
Coffee with 1% milk (1.5 Pts)




Multigrain Banana Nut Crunch Buttermilk Pancakes

1 cup(s) Whole-wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup(s) Yellow corn meal plain
1/4 cup(s) uncooked oatmeal
3 tbsp Smart Balance 37% Light Spread Margarine
2 item(s) egg
3 tbsp McNeil Nutritionals SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener
1 1/2 cup(s) low fat buttermilk
1 tsp table salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup(s) walnut halves, chopped
1 small banana(s) cut in pieces
Frozen blueberries (optional)

Instructions

Wisk dry ingredients together in mixing bowl. Separate eggs and whip whites until they are at the soft peak stage. Add wet ingredients (except for egg whites) to the dry ingredients and stir lightly to incorporate. Stir in nuts and banana pieces. Finally, gently fold in the egg whites until just incorporated.

Spray griddle or pan with cooking spray and heat to medium high temp. For crispier edged pancakes you can use melted butter or oil but this will obviously add some calories to the end result. Pour 4-inch rounds of batter onto the hot griddle pan. If you like you can add a handful of frozen blueberries at this time to each pancake for an added nutritional and flavor boost. Allow pancakes to cook until bubbles begin to form and pop on the surface. Then flip them over. Cook until this second side is golden brown. Enjoy!

Makes about 1 dozen 4in. pancakes (2 Pts each)

Comments

Popular Posts