Slow Food

I am trying to get better about keeping my food sources local and sustainable whenever I can. This is not as easy as it sounds because we don't live in an area where this is the norm. I can't necessarily just go into my grocery store and buy local. Even buying at the farmers market does not always guarantee that the food or produce is from a farm nearby. So I am slowly figuring out where and how to get what I want. It's a process and like the slow food movement itself it takes time. But today I made some progress at keeping it close. The egg in my breakfast came from one local farm. The cheese was made by a man who has dairy cows at another. The rye bread in my lunch was baked by a man just up the street. And the watermelon in our dessert tonight was grown by a third local farmer. I like knowing where my food came from and literally who had a hand in bringing it to my table. I also like knowing that the money I spent on it went to my neighbors and will stay within the community. The bonus is that the local stuff also tastes great!

Dessert

Watermelon Boba Drinks


Dinner


leftovers: Chicken Tikka Masala (tonight added a little goat cheese)
Brown & Wild rice
Roasted Red Pepper & Apricot Chutney
Iced Green Tea

Lunch

Chicken & Portobello Mushroom Burger, provolone cheese on rye
Kettle Baked lightly salted chips
pickle
Sprite Zero

Breakfast

Soft Boiled egg, Swiss cheese on Light English Muffin
Sliced Tomato
Coffee with 1% milk


Comments

Popular Posts