Grass Fed Beef - Outstanding in it's field!

Tonight I made some great burgers with 90% lean, southern grass fed beef. It really is true when they say that this beef just tastes better. Some people think it is gamier than conventionally grain fed beef. I don't find that to be the case, I simply think it is more flavorful. I topped ours with some grilled onions and a melted light cream cheese/sharp cheddar cheese blend that I have really come to love. By mixing the two I am able to enjoy the cheddar flavor in a lighter way. A four ounce portion of beef cooked down and fit a small whole wheat slider bun perfectly. This way we still had a full burger experience without the bread hit from a big hamburger bun.

I served the burgers along with a tossed salad and baked maple crunch sweet potato fries. They are so easy and so tasty! I made them about a week ago but in case you missed that entry I'll post my recipe again below. Trust me you'll love them!

Finally for dessert I made a special treat. I can't take credit for this one as I saw Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa) make these on a recent show and it was a slap my forehead and  say DUH! moment for me. Why I never thought of doing this before is beyond me. Very simply she made s'mores using a prepared chocolate covered cookie in lieu of a graham cracker and a chocolate bar - so much easier and just as yummy. I bought Pepperidge Farm Geneva cookies and they fit the bill (and one marshmallow) perfectly. 

Dessert

Pepperidge Farm Geneva S'More (4 Pts)


Dinner

Southern Grass Fed Beef burger, with cheese & onions on Whole Wheat slider bun (9.5 Pts)
Salad with feta and Newman's Own Light Italian (1.5 Pts)
Baked Maple Crunch Sweet Potato Fries (2 Pts)

Baked Maple Crunch Sweet Potato Fries

1 Large Sweet potato, peeled and cut into planks
1/2 cup finely ground up Original Fiber One Cereal
1 Tbsp canola Oil
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup (I like B grade)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp Splenda
Salt to taste

Place all ingredients in a zip lock bag and mix them around until the potatoes are nicely coated. Then remove them from the bag and place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet and cook in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until tender on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Makes 2-3 servings.



Lunch

Boars Head maple glazed ham & salami, cheddar cheese on light English muffin (3.5)
Kettle Baked BBQ chips (1 Pt)
Kiwi & pineapple (1 Pt)
Water (0)


Breakfast

Barbara's Shredded Spoonfuls, 1% milk, blueberries (3 Pts)
Coffee with 1% milk (1 Pt)



Comments

Popular Posts