It's a Matter of Choice

So tomorrow I'll be participating in my first ever 5K race. I've been training for months. Just last weekend I actually went 4.1 miles which is a mile further than I will be going tomorrow and I am more than ready. I'm really looking forward to it but I'm anxious about it too. I suppose that is how it always is with new experiences. Maybe that's why I've been drawn to old reliable comfort foods this week - like macaroni & cheese and smore's.

When you are facing the unknown - it's nice to stay grounded by something familiar. And I won't deny that food is a powerful grounding force for me. We all find ourselves eating for emotional reasons from time to time. The key for me is to be conscious of when I am doing it and to acknowledge at any point in time that I am choosing a behavior. It is not choosing me. That way I maintain control and keep myself from going overboard. It may seem like I am splitting hairs but so much about weight loss and maintenance is a mental game. I have to remind myself all the time that I am in power. I did it because I chose to. So each circumstance is different and therefore I can make a different choice.

As we head into this Fourth of July weekend I celebrate how blessed I am to live in a country where we have freedom of choice. It's good to remember what a valuable resource it is - one I hope never to take for granted.

Dessert

Geneva Cookie Smore

Dinner

Finally - the last of the chicken Tikka Masala (still good)
Brown Rice
Roasted Red Papper & Apricot chutney


Lunch
Panera, Longwood FL

Chicken & dried fugi apple salad, gorgonzola - apple dressing on side


Breakfast

Barbara's Bakery Shredded Spoonfuls, 1% milk & blueberries
Coffee with 1% milk


Comments

Popular Posts